Thursday, April 17, 2008

What was that?

So the other day, my agent calls to give me some good news about a project I'd proposed, and instead of being in my cluttered office with its view of my spring-has-sprung garden, I'm at the mall. Actually, in the dressing room of a store in the mall. And not just any store, but one with laughably loud music blaring at dangerous levels (this is probably a tactic meant to keep older clientele like myself away, but who am I to follow protocol?)

Anyway, you may recall a post I wrote about a previous visit to this same store, where I stood up for helicopter parents everywhere. Unfortunately, I longed for the soft-cottons they sell, so I had dashed in for a quick try-on, with hopes that my eardrums wouldn't burst (nor my morals be offended).

I'd just pulled on a pair of clearance sweats, when I saw my phone light up--you know, because I couldn't actually hear it--and grabbed for it. I couldn't easily leave the dressing room because I wasn't wearing my own clothing, so I just stood there in my barefeet, one finger in my ear as I shouted a few ya-hoos to my agent, Steve. Believe me, it's so loud in that store--even in the dressing rooms--that I could have been talking about a crime I'd committed (if I had a criminal mind, that is) and no one would have heard a thing. I barely heard a thing.

After explaining where I was,
including my lament over trying on clothes made for anoxeric teens, Steve told me this was probably the oddest deal discussion he'd ever had. Lol...yeah, well, I like to make an impression.

***

Happy Friday, my friends! What a difference a week makes. Last weekend, we Californians experienced record temps in the 80s and 90s. Already today, not so much.

Ah, well--whether it's sunny or not, have a beachy weekend--wherever you are!

3 comments:

Ronel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ronel said...

This is one of the main reasons I stay away from the mall. Eve though I am in my 20's still I feel like a grandma when I go to the mall.

Congrats on the book deal!!

Have a great weekend!!!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

I just found your blog today and already love it. I have to confess, I don't read a lot of fiction so I have not yet read your books, but they sound great. I am going to have to make some me time and do some just for fun reading.

I rarely shop at malls anymore for myself. I'm in my 30's and feel like a frump.

Congrats on the new book deal that is awesome.