Saturday, April 12, 2008

Happy Bird-day ;)

I really had to mess with this picture so I could show you the amazing bird we saw from our car window. Last night, the girls and I returned from our trip up to the central coast, and while we were tooling around we saw this giant egret. At least I think that's what it was. The picture doesn't do its greatness justice, but I was blocking the road, and another car was coming so I took the picture fast. (The birdie had been closer but I think all my oohing and aahing scared it away too :)

Squint into the brightness, and you'll see its beautifully curved neck. I swear the bird must have been more than 3 feet tall. I know, I know--I'm obsessed. But if you've read any of my books, you're probably not surprised. My first heroine, Bri, loved dolphins, and my second, Gaby, chatted almost daily with a sea lion. What can I say? I've always believed that sea-living creatures give me yet another glimpse into God's amazing creativity, so how can I not love them? (Except sharks. Not wild about them, and that'll be one question I'll have when I get to heaven.)

Moving on. My birthday was yesterday, and I rec'd an inbox full of fun email messages including two singing divas, a note from a long-lost friend who now lives in England, and greetings from a former boss. How groovy to be 29, yet again! :)

Have a beachy weekend--wherever you are!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry I missed your birthday!! I'm going to go write it down now so I don't miss it again.

Lovely photo too btw.

Dan Navarro said...

Hi Jules... Since you are on track to become the Jane Austen of the 21st century, this story may amuse you.

A couple of weeks ago, my wife oohed and aahed at the PBS presentation of "Pride and Prejudice", a two-night special produced in 2007.

She liked it so much, I bought her the DVD today. Tonight I sat with her to watch what literary nonsense Miz Jane was up to, thinking I would surely excuse myself from the TV room after about ten minutes or so.

Not!!! Three hours later, my eyes were still glued to the plasma, and my heart was pumping along with Elaine's, as the finale of this overwrought soap opera came along. And the final scene, where Elinor, the lovable spinster sister, is faced with the love of her life telling her he loves her... well, let's just say I was rooting like a fan with his team on the one-yard line. Go for it, man! Go! And then... Touchdown!

Left me limp, and awed at the magic that these photoplays can create.

Sorry if you're not a fan of JA.... But since she was the muse of 19th century romance literature, and you are the author of romance for the XYZ Generation, I thought the comparison might be apt.

Anyway, it was a good show.

Cheers,
Dan

Julie Carobini said...

Dan--I need to watch the PBS version again because it's been years. I do, however love and own the newest release! Jane Austen rocks :)

Jana said...

Happy birthday, Julie! I hope you had a wonderful day! I've been 29 for almost ten years now. ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!