Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Live...On Stage!

It was Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber night on American Idol, and may I just wax poetic for a moment? See, my dad brought me up to love musicals. Together we saw live, LA productions of Les Miserables, Chorus Line, Cats, and then with Mom and my hubby, Phantom of the Opera. When I was single and went to England with my pal, Aimee, I insisted that she and I attend a matinee performance (all we could afford) of Lloyd Webber's then-newest creation, Aspects of Love. So it bombed? I saw it live...on a London stage! Hubby even took me to see Beauty and the Beast in LA for my birthday one year. (I couldn't believe all the kiddos in the audience until I remembered, oh yeah, it's from a cartoon. Duh.)

I Must Get to the Thea-ter!

Ahem. Okay, about the top 6 contestants:

Syesha--She sang and danced like she meant it--and loved it too! Extra votes for her tonight.
Jason--I love you, but I saw Cats live, and I think this might be your undoing. Oh, but I'll buy your records, I will, I will (especially that version of Somewhere over the Rainbow of a few weeks back.)
David A--Sounded great, as always. But nothing new to add.
Carly--Powered out a song from Jesus Christ Superstar. (On a side note, hubby says this musical was much better than Godspell, which I wrote about a couple of days ago.) Anyway, she's got these fun Cher-like riffs, and like Syesha, played the stage well.
Brooke--Really messed up by forgetting the lyrics, but oh, she started well with a song from Evita. Kind of worried for her.
David C--Hey, if he can sing Music of the Night (from Phantom) that well, he just may win this thing (although a little more emotion would have been nice.)

So what did you think of the show?

4 comments:

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

I pretty much agree with your review. My heart hurt for Brooke. I love her voice and her style, but as Randy would say she just hasn't been "hittin' them home" the past few weeks. I too love ALW musicals. Les Mis was the first I had ever seen and I was awestruck immediately.

Anonymous said...

I'm scared for Brooke too. I think Jason just might survive another week.

Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

I hate it, but I think Brooke's going too. I actually loved her performance. I thought she got past the mistake and by the end was singing the way she is capable of singing. She is so sincere, so ... vulnerable when she sings.

But when Paula brings criticism ... well, I'm afraid it doomed her.

Carly does shout too much, I think. (Can't believe I'm agreeing with Simon).

Syesha gave the top performance, I'd say.

David C. was good and it may come down to him and David A.

Jason ... poor boy. He's so pretty, so kind by the look of his countennce

Becky

Carole said...

I voted for the very first time last night - for Syesha, because I thought she did a wonderful job.

Although she hasn't been doing so well the last few weeks, I love Brooke's style and hope she has a career we can follow.

As for who will win, I never can predict. I love David A's singing, but think he has some maturing to do - and he tried so hard to keep his eyes open last night! David C probably comes closest to having the complete "package" as they say.