Friday, May 23, 2008

Writing on Friday

Happy Friday, My Friends~

I'm blogging about the writing journey today, as promised, and it's good timing as I've just completed my last planned book signing for Truffles by the Sea. I learned super quickly last year that publication doesn't end with the final chapter of the book, but continues on long after the galleys have been proofed and sent back, which for Truffles was sometime last fall. Since then I've had, let's see:

* 10 Book signings
* 1/2 dozen drop in signings
* 2 podcasts
* 1 radio interview
* 1 6-day writer's conference
* And a whole mess of mailings, both online and via snail mail

All this while writing proposals for various publishers, and somehow trying to clean toilets in between. Hey, nobody ever said it was glamorous ;)

If you're attempting publication,
have you ever thought of those aspects? I never really did before, because frankly, I just wanted to learn the craft. It would be good for you, though, to ask yourself what kind of marketing fits you.

For example, extroverts love to stand up in front of groups and yak, yak, yak. So not me. I do it, but it's not always pretty. I have discovered that I dig talking with people one and one, and that's why book signings have been actually a lot of fun (although I'm a bit of a freak while prepping...but that's for another post ;) Lots of folks like to come up and talk about books, or about they're own writing journey, and that's seriously okay by me (at least I'm not lonely up there...ha).

If I can offer
some sage advice, then I will. Karen Kingsbury did the same for me last year. I approached her during a signing, told her about my books, and she jumped right in, offering me some terrific advice (and notice here how I've somehow compared myself to the uber-popular KK, Lol...)

You're turn. How do you learn about books you come to love? From friends or the Internet or through direct mail or ? I'd love to hear your stories.

Memorial Day weekend is here. Throw another shrimp on the bar-b and have a beachy weekend--wherever you are!

4 comments:

Sarah Wylie said...

I usually learn about books from my sisters and friends. So I'm curious, at writer's conferences, as a published author, do you have to speak/present?
By the way, I don't think the K.K comparison was at all narcissistic:)
FYI: The Idols are on Larry King tonight!

Julie Carobini said...

Good question, Sarah! I sometimes do teach at conferences, but I'm in front of my peeps, so it's not so scary. (But, a little :) When I'm not on staff, but still a conferee, most of the "pitching" of ideas is done one on one.

In my post, I was referring to my aversion to speaking to large gatherings of people who don't understand just how weird writes really are--ha!

Jana said...

I usually look for book covers and titles that sound interesting. Sometimes my mom, another avid reader, will recommend something. I also like to look at Book of the Month Club's website because they always have the most popular books listed and I'll write them down and check them out of the library.

I would be the writer up on stage babbling - I love attention. I started out wanting to be an actor, but living in Maryland there wasn't much call for actors. In college, every time we had a public reading, I would sign up to read one of my stories. I loved it.

So, yeah, I've definitely thought about that aspect of writing and I can't wait!

Julie Carobini said...

Haha, Jana. Hope you get all the attn. you want. My dad's just like that--such the ham. I also took plenty of acting lessons as a kid, but I think I just wanted to be someone else, lol...

Hm, maybe next time I'm up on a stage I'll pretend I'm Karen Kingsbury ;)