Monday, May 19, 2008

Monday musings on writing

Before I sold my first book, on proposal, I'd written two complete novels. Neither were all that good, but in doing, I learned. Still, I often felt frustrated and stuck by the process, until I decided to 'take apart' some of my favorite books. Teen Daughter will tell you that it's not all that fun to borrow books from me (some of them, anyway). That's because there are markings in them. I wanted to figure out how my favorite authors did it, so I circled transitions, and made notes in the margins, and underlined characterization, and so on. Finally, what I wanted to do began to really gel in my mind.

The amazing Angela Hunt
has said that through the years she's used various formulas in her writing, and this has given me great inspiration (and comfort!). Because even though she'd written so much, she was still seeking new and better ways to create her books. I'm writing the first of three novels set in Otter Bay, California, and one of Angela's writing techniques has helped me immensely. She calls it the Plot Skeleton, and basically, what it's done is helped me to boil down my next novel to the bare bones. It's kind of a pre-outline, and if you have SOTP writing tendencies like me (seat-of-the-pants), this just may be the technique that will keep you on course. I made one for my current WIP (work-in-progress) and it's been an amazing guide! You can read Angela's post here.

In addition to the Plot Skeleton, I'm also reading Susie Warren and Rachel Hauck's Booktherapy blog, and re-reading (and dogearring, Jim Bell's book, Plot & Structure). Here's the thing, though. These resources are working for me at the moment, but there are all kinds of helps out there. A pet peeve of mine (okay, I've got more than one ;) is reading that you have to write a certain way. I'm part of several online writing groups, and while they are choc-full of resources and conversation, they can also be overwhelming and discouraging at times, especially when someone makes a black and white statement of how things must be done.

Sure there are rules, and there are expectations from readers, but that said, different minds get there in different ways. Try out a few ways to write. You may be able to listen to lectures and 'get it' (I'm jealous of that, btw), or you may need to use an Excel spreadsheet to organize all your scenes (a very popular technique for some), or you may need to stand on your head at the beach until all the ideas have a party in your head (I keep trying this--Not!). Whatever.

If you've believe writing is your calling, yet you've been stuck on the journey, maybe it's time to press on. Find a technique that works for you at this time in your life, but know that as you grow as a writer, it's okay to try something new. Let me know how you do!

4 comments:

Ronel said...

Thanks for sharing!! I am going to start working on this process.

Have a great day!!

Ronel

Sarah Jane said...

I like what you said about not having to do things a certain way. Thanks for the great advice and I think I just may look into that standing on top of you head thing. It has to work for someone right?

Jana said...

I love the plot skeleton - thanks for sharing that link!

I tend to know what's going to happen at the beginning and the end, but the middle is usually a bit murkier. I like to let my characters surprise me. Maybe it's time I took charge and showed them who's boss!

Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

I fall into Jim Bell's "Headlights" method. I think that's what he called it. To me something like Randy's Snowflake or Angie's Skeleton is so restrictive (and, I fear, formulaic) that I can't even begin. Other people swear by these techniques as freeing them up to write.

It's so important that we don't boil writing down to a right and a wrong way of working. Not unless God made us all exactly the same.

Becky