Monday, January 14, 2008

y3h d!g??

So Teen Son and I saw Dan in Real Life again the other night. We were bored, and it was at the cheapy theater, so why not? Man, I wish I'd written it. Every once in awhile I find a movie that I have to have in my collection, the kind that I'll watch on rainy days or when I'm in a funk or on those rare eves when no one needs a chauffeur. LOL

Part of the attraction
for me, I think, is the ensemble cast. While it may not be a true ensemble in that the characters don't share screen time equally, the supporting players are integral to the story. It's like that in Pride & Prejudice (that poor mum trying to marry off all of her daughters before their father, who's not even sick, dies), While You Were Sleeping (that quirky family of coma guy and his super cute brother), Notting Hill (who doesn't love those longtime friends of William's as they compete for the last brownie with stories of why they are the saddest sack in the bunch?)

Is any of this making sense?
This is one reason why I can watch Dan in Real Life over and over again. Yeah, Steve Carrell's amazing, and Juliette Binoche enchanting, but the people they're surrounded by and in conflict with (a week with his entire family in a Rhode Island beach house) add a richness to their story.

As for books, I think this is why I read every one of the Mitford series, cover to cover (Seriously, what would Father Tim have done without Uncle Billy's jokes to break up the monotony of daily life? Or Emma's gossip, for that matter? What would I have done???)

Anybody else like these kinds of movies and books? Speak on!

p.s. Teen Daughter made the title, 'cuz this is how 'we' talk. Whoever 'we' are....;0

3 comments:

Damselfly said...

I enjoyed the Mitford series too. It was more "homespun" than I really liked, but Jan Karon just makes all her characters so real.

Janny said...

Love the Mitford books...love WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING...thought NOTTING HILL was a waste of good film. So there you are...

:-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love the Mitford series. I have not seen Dan in Real Life so I'll add that to my TBV (to be viewed) list. =) Liked While You Were Sleeping too.