Wednesday, January 02, 2008

First New Year's Goal: Check!

Didn't wait even a day of 2008 to watch Amazing Grace on DVD. After our traditional New Year's pork and sauerkraut dinner with my parents (something my hub brought into the relationship, since I'm more of a tamales and rice gal ;), we switched on a copy of the movie and...I loved it.

It's the powerful story
of William Wilberforce and his battle to abolish slavery in Britain during the late 1700s. In addition to his own moral grounding and connection to God, it's clergyman John Newton and his repentant song, Amazing Grace, that serve as continual inspiration as Wilberforce faces pompous and frustrating jerks opposition.

BTW, a few months back we saw Chris Tomlin
at the Santa Barbara Bowl. I talked about that here. Anyway, Tomlin recorded Amazing Grace for the movie soundtrack and included Newton's 'lost' verse. It's stuck with me from the very first time I heard it, and I often find myself singing it when I'm having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day (a kiddy book ref., couldn't resist).

Here are those breathtaking words. Be free, my friends:

My chains are gone, I’ve been set free
My God, my Saviour, Has ransomed me
And like a flood, His mercy reigns
Unending Love, Amazing Grace

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really need to watch that. Next time I run by Blockbuster, I'll be sure to pick it up.

Deborah said...

i watched this movie last week. i loved it!!! one of the best movies of 2007. everyone needs to watch it.

Anonymous said...

Julie, I saw AG in the theatres with my youth group and then again with friends. I should have put the DVD on my wish list...LOL It was indeed, to me, one of the best films of the year. Need to get that "missing verse" into the hymnals!