Thursday, January 17, 2008

Stepping up

Started a new Bible Study this week, Stepping Up: A journey through the Psalms of Ascent (Beth Moore). Let me tell you, you don't realize how dry you are until that first day back to study. At least that's how it was for me.

It's not that I don't regularly pray. I do. (Okay, but not always as I should.) And it's not that I don't believe. I do. (Then again, I'm often like the father crying out to God, "I believe. Help my unbelief!") And it's not that I don't attend church. I do. (Although I'm not sure that I'm all 'there' at the time...know what I mean?)

There's just something so rich
and revealing about in-depth study of the Bible. Beth's three approaches to this particular study are: Say it. Work it. Pray it. When I first read that, it made me giggle because I thought of a long ago aerobics teacher who used to shout out, "Work it! Work it! Work it til you burn it! C'mon! C'mon!" And yes, she (and I) were wearing garish tights at the time.

So anyway, I like this approach.
Like my aerobic teacher's mantra was a workout for the bod, Beth Moore's three part approach is like a workout for the soul. I expect to feel some twinges, maybe some aches, but oh, how worth it all it so will be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beth is an amazing teacher. I was lucky enough to sit in her class at her church one Sunday. Just amazing!