Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sorry, Dad

So the kids and I watched Music & Lyrics...and now I can't get the main song out of my head. When I first heard about this movie featuring Hugh (Notting Hill!) Grant and Drew Barrymore, I put it on high on my to-rent list. But then a friend who shall remain nameless saw it in the theater (AK :) and pretty much trashed it. Teen Daughter and I rented it anyway, but went in with a sort of skewed eye, a view that said "I dare you to entertain us." In the end we thought it was fun, but forgettable--except for that 80s throwback song, "Pop!" Could not get it out of my head...argh.

But recently my Dad
said how much he liked it, which made me laugh. Maybe even mock his view a little--shame on me. It was all in fun though (right, Dad?) and when my son asked to see it I said, "Sure." (I made him turn away when the barely-dressed Cora 'danced'--sheesh.)

Anyway, I wouldn't call it
great, but after watching M&L with fresh perspective, I found more to like. In addition to some throwback 80s moments (you know, from when I was practically a baby), and a funny scene involving women nearing 40 and their affinity for Hugh's tight pants circa 1988, the song at the center of the film (A Way Back Into Love) has hung around inside my head all evening. It's catchy and sweet, and so much better than that other song that opens the movie (somehow I think this was the point).

So I guess I owe Dad (and Hugh) an apology. Sometimes it takes another look to see the light.

3 comments:

Damselfly said...

My friend wanted me to go with her to see this movie when it first came out, but somehow we didn't get around to it. I didn't think it looked so bad....

Anonymous said...

It was the best movie, but I agree. I had a good time with it too!

Dan Navarro said...

Glad you gave "Music & Lyrics" another look, Jules. The one shot with Haley Bennett in her bikini-like outfit is so fleeting, it's blink-and-you-miss-it. The main attraction is the song that Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore write together. It's beautiful. And it's haunting. "A Way Back Into Love."