Friday, January 11, 2008

Me-me-me-me-meeee!

So my pal, Katie Cushman tagged me for a meme (pronounced 'meem'), and I would have posted it sooner, but our phone line/dsl line had been down all day. Not having Internet access is much like going without my daily skinny latte: it's possible, but a total bummer. Waa!

Anyway, I'm baaacckk! So here are the rules: Post three writing tips that you've learned along the way, and then nominate 5 more bloggers to take up the meme.

Here goes:

1. If you write fiction, join the ACFW. For $40 a year you have access to oodles of advice and tools to help you sharpen up your skills.

2. When it comes to critiques of your work, don't get tossed to and fro', as the Bible says in Ephesians. Okay, so that verse refers to doctrine, but it can be applied here too. Point is, it's good to let trusted readers and/or writers review your work before sending it out for possible publication, but before you weep and gouge your eyes out worry over every morsel of criticism, look for consistency. Are all your readers saying basically the same thing? Then that's a pretty good sign that a particular area needs work. But if only one out of a whole group points something out, and you don't necessarily agree? Well, then, eh--follow your instinct.

3. Katie says, publication is often "right time, right place." So true! And you can't be in the the right place or time if you're not writing and submitting, writing and submitting, wri....etc. So if that's your goal, hop to it :)

For a few more tips, see the 'for writers' page of my website.

If you're a writer, or want to be a writer, or want to pretend you are a writer, then I tag YOU! If you post your own three tips, be sure to stop by and leave your blog address in the comments section so others can find ya. Gracias!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i consider myself a tipless writer. not a topless one. just tipless. but your tips were great.


ew! that sounded gross. sorry.