Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Trying something new

So yesterday, I sent off the manuscript I've been working on for the past million years several months. *Sound of boulder falling from shoulders* This book is scheduled for a June 2010 release.

It's always a great feeling to complete a project, but especially this time. I wrote my first three books from one point-of-view (POV), and they worked well that way.

But this time around, after I'd already written a hunk of the book, something felt missing. I tinkered and tossed ideas around and kept coming back to the same thing: add the hero's POV.

So I did. And--voila--that's when the story began to flow. Had quite a bit of fun writing architect, Gage, from his own point of view -- such a romantic guy, Lol...

I'm not going to tell you all books HAVE to be in present tense, or past tense, or multiple POVs. Those black and white declarations are counter productive to the creative process. What I will say is that if you believe in the story, but it's just not working, step out of your comfort zone. Have a friend who likes to read (not necessarily another writer) give you their opinion. Consider a tense change. Add another POV. Hopefully, you'll find what you're searching for. (And yes, I did just end that sentence in a preposition...)

This post is not just for writers, but readers too. I tend to read the same types of stories, but in recent years, I've pushed myself to try other genres and different writing styles, and by doing so, I've discovered some of my favorite all-time books! So there you go ;)

My 2cents. Have a beachy day, my friends--wherever you are!

5 comments:

Deborah said...

Can't wait to see what is coming next. Thanks for the insight into how authors work.

Ronel said...

For years I only read a certain type of book and it wasn't until I step outside of my comfort zone that I realized how much I LOVED to read!! I had to discover other types of stories to realize how much fun reading could be... I am so glad I made a change.

Good luck on your manuscript!!

Anonymous said...

Julie,

Congratulations! Enviable accomplishment - finishing the book. Bravo!

Patty

Amy said...

Yay! Can't wait to read it. :)

Sue said...

Great suggestions Julie. Thanks for sharing your POV on POV ;-)