Thursday, March 20, 2008

A PUBLISHER BY ANY OTHER NAME…

….wouldn’t smell as sweet as The Wild Rose Press

(Welcome guest blogger and author, Georgiana Daniels! -- Julie C)


Julie kindly invited me to blog about my experience with a POD (print-on-demand) publisher, sometimes referred to as a small press or e-pub. The simple reason I took my book to a small press is because more than once I was told that editors were no longer actively seeking lit. The rumor circulated on various loops and forums, then I heard it from a reputable CBA agent, then straight from an editor’s mouth—the door was closing to new lit writers. It seemed my baby, Table for One, was doomed.

Enter, The Wild Rose Press. POD publishers have a unique business model that allows them to take chances on good stories that don’t fit the market trends. When someone purchases an e-book they have the option of downloading a PDF file or getting the HTML. On Amazon it downloads onto the kindle.

The co-owner of TWRP, Rhonda Penders, said it best in January’s Romance Writers Report:

“Frankly, we pay very little attention to what the ‘market’ says is selling. We focus on good stories and good writing, and we go from there. A good romance is a good romance and that’s enough for us.”


The Wild Rose Press involves their authors in every step of the process. Who wrote my back cover copy? Me. Who had a lot of input on cover art? Me. Who had a plethora of newbie questions? You guessed it, me!

At TWRP, they work hard to develop a sense of community, and they are committed to growing the “roses.” Because of the smaller size, the owners and editors make themselves readily available, and even offer a little hand-holding for us first timers. Another unique angle is the e-book availability six months before the paperback, which I’m finding is a big plus for a new author.

I’m incredibly thankful that I found a publisher who believes in my book, Table for One. I’ll leave you with a few words that have become precious to my heart. Are you ready? On the count of three. One, two, three…

Viva inspirational chick lit!


Georgiana Daniels is an active member of ACFW and RWA. After graduating with a degree in public relations, she spent several years in the business world, but now has the privilege of staying home and working on the stories she loves. In the 2007 Genesis contest her entry placed 2nd in the chick lit category. Her first book, Table for One, is available now.

8 comments:

Georgiana Daniels said...

Hi Julie! Thanks for inviting me to hang out with you today. I think I have sand in my shoes =)

Betsy St. Amant said...

Great post! As a fellow TWRP author, I agree!

Roni said...

Thank you for the kind words. We are so happy to have you as a member of our garden.

Your story is yet another reason why we do what we do here.

Rhonda Penders
Editor-in-Chief
The Wild Rose Press (www.thewildrosepress.com)

Anonymous said...

Great post, Georgiana. Thanks so much for the kind words about TWRP. You are a fantastic author and addition to the garden. Table for One is a must-read!

Blessings,
Nicola Martinez,
Senior Editor
The Wild Rose Press

Missy Tippens said...

Georgiana, I'm so excited for you! Congrats on your book!!

Missy :)

Marcie Gribbin said...

Georgiana- Congrats! I can't wait to read your book!

Georgiana Daniels said...

Thanks, everyone! You're all so sweet =)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your book! And I have to agree about TWRP. They're a wonderful publisher. -Laura H.