Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Zzzzzz!

My kid's taller. I mean it. Hubby and I circled LAX a few times this morning until I spotted Teen Son's crew of 18 who had just flown in from Belize. It's a weird feeling letting your child, your baby for heaven's sake, fly off to some foreign country without you. But he has a zeal for missionary work, so we step out of the way.

On the drive back from the airport, some of team told us stories of humid days, busy children, orphanages, hospitals, mosquitos and prayer (lots of that last one, especially). They talked about families living in thatched huts, and a group of children walking ten miles to participate in VBS (the pastor arranged to pick them up the rest of the week).

I'd tell you more but Teen Son's still sleeping, and I'm feeling a little woozy myself from the late night--er--morning... On a side note, while we circled the airport like lost pelicans, I got a kick out of seeing so many different people coming into LA at all hours and from all over. Made me want to travel more. In the fall we'll be going to New York, and next year I'm hoping for Italy.

What about you, my bloggity friends? If fuel costs were not an issue, where would you like to go?

9 comments:

Ronel said...

Let’s see where I would like to go.. First I want to fly to Austin, Texas and spend some time with my best friend Kinta and her family... Then I would take a flight to Washington State to spend time with my other best friend Angie and her family... Lastly I would rent a car and drive from Washington to San Diego and stop at all the family in-between here and there.... Oh how I wish gas prices weren't soooo bad!!

Italy is the best!!
Thanks for the bookmarks!!

Dan Navarro said...

Thank God Matthew is home safely!

Jana said...

My hubby went to Belize on a missions trip when he was 16. He still talks about it.

I would love to drive cross-country, ending up in southern CA. I've never been to the west coast.

Julie Carobini said...

You're welcome, Mrs. Sidney! I've always wanted to visit Washington, too. And Jana, we drove cross country with our three kids back in 2001. California to Pennsylvania! Was one of our best trips ever: St. Louis Arch, the Grand Canyon, Route 66...so fun. Hope you get the chance.

Anonymous said...

I would love to go to Venice, the UK, Washington DC and NY.

I just want to travel!!

Crystal M. said...

My hubby and I were supposed to go to New York for our 10 yr. anniversary. For financial reasons, including the cost of traveling - we decided to go to New York, New York in Las Vegas instead. We had a wonderful time. Maybe in the future we can take that trip to NY.

Anonymous said...

Well, I work in missions, so I still get to travel. This fall I'm hoping for Indonesia, and possibly Spain and Morocco early next year.

If Teen Son ever wants to do a YWAM DTS, send him to us!! :)

Julie Carobini said...

Wow, so many cool places, Scooby! And Teen Son has worked with YWAM a couple of times, and always comes home talking about DTS. Ya never know...

Angi said...

I would like to go to Grand Cayman Island. Stopped there on a cruise - was a place I'd like to visit longer.