Thursday, October 18, 2007

Catching up on the rest of the weekend. It's only Thursday, after all.

Here's another close up of that magnificent cake made for last week's book signing. As Katie, Jim and I waited in the back, in an area we affectionately dubbed "the green room", we could hear announcements made in Borders to let folks know we were about to start. Something like "Welcome Readers to our author signing and chat, Promises, Chocolate and ... Murder!" That last word was always said with a sort of DU-DU-DUUUU tone. Such a crack up.

So when I saw this picture with that serrated knife there on the left, I laughed. Then I got creeped out. Then I laughed again.

Okay, moving on...

Took a tour on Sunday of a green house (not to be confused with the green room mentioned above). And not one with plants in it, either, but one built with sustainable materials, like bamboo and crushed glass and, um, hemp (okay, so I'm not sure about that last one, but I have seen some cool purses made of it). So anyway, I joined my mother, brother and his ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE girlfriend to tour the house, our $20 entrance fee going to charity. Not sure exactly why I wanted to see it. There's a lot of controversy these days with going 'green' because, unfortunately, the idea of using our God-given resources wisely has become a political issue. Yuk. I'm so not into that aspect.

But anyway, the house is in Venice near those lovely canals, so what do I care about politics? I just wanted to see it. And my first faux-paux? I wore a suede jacket and leather shoes. LOL Uh, hello, the place was crawling with people wearing clothes made of wheat. Okay, maybe only some of them. Did I mention I stood in a room with Jackson Browne, admiring the stylish use of fluorescents? (Jeans and a cotton tee, just in case you were wondering.)

I'm actually pretty amazed by what a clever builder can do with fly ash. And the windows on the toured house are gigantic and beautiful, really bringing the inside out (or is it outside in?) But one thing does bother me. We later found a few open houses and, basically, the houses all looked the same. Kind of like a stack of rectangles made of metal, glass and wood (or at least it looked like wood). Nice ideas but so modern, and so not me.

My question, then, is can I get a builder to make me a house using God's resources wisely but that looks like something I'd actually want to live in? I'm thinking maybe a shingled cottage by the sea...

Really, is this too much to ask?

4 comments:

Timothy Fish said...

My thought on this is that traditional lumber and brick are both made from renewable resources. So are cotton, wool and leather. There is no reason why the tried and true cannot be a wise use of God's resources.

Julie Carobini said...

Hey Timothy, Good points, although in CA you really don't want a house made of brick--too many earthquakes ;0

Aside from what I mentioned, one of the cool things in the house I toured was a central shut off for lighting so energy is not wasted. That would save my lungs from always yelling, "Kids, turn off the light in the bathroom when you leave!!!"

Damselfly said...

Whoa! I never got my book cover on a cake. You go!

Dionna said...

Stunning cake! Wow.