Monday, August 23, 2010

Whaddaweek!

I'm officially Mom to a middle schooler, a high schooler and a COLLEGE student!!! Funny since I'm JUST SO YOUNG! Ha :)

So the big move was this weekend. Bittersweet times. After two days of mini-seminars and orientations and mixers and meals, thousands of new students and families gathered on the great lawn on Saturday night for a big send off. Tissue boxes were scattered about as we worshiped God under a shiny round moon. Then there was communion and private family prayer time. Thought for sure I was going to lose it!!! After all, parents and students were sobbing ALL AROUND US.

But then my son said something that made me giggle, and all hope for the 'mama-style' breakdown was gone. We ended up leaving our kiddo at the entrance to the dorm, fully confident that with God watching over him, he was ready for this new chapter. Truthfully, I'd had a quiet cry earlier that morning ... so enough already!

After church on Sunday, we took our daughters to lunch and when the hostess asked, "How many?" our older daughter automatically answered, "Five." Whoops! With Matt away at college, that number has been shaved to four.

Oh boy. THIS is going to take some getting used to!

To all my college-mama friends out there, past, present, and future ~ have a beachy day, wherever you are :-)

3 comments:

Diane said...

So bittersweet. I am not looking forward to those days. Hugs to you! :O)

Julie Carobini said...

Thanks Diane! This new stage is a bit surreal, but I'm adjusting. Lol

Best to you!

alex marestaing said...

My daughter's starting jr. high, and that's tough enough. Can't imagine college. God bless this transition in your life. We're more than conquerers in Christ, so you'll do more than just get used to it. This chapter will be awesome, different, but awesome just the same.