Thursday, October 01, 2009

18 years ago today...

I gave birth to a 5 lb., 13 oz., baby boy. (That's him as the chef at my recent launch party). Anyway, I worked for the YMCA back then as the office manager, and took my leave a week before my due date, figuring that the baby would be late. Isn't that what everyone tells a new mother? "Oh, honey, they're always late!" So anyway, I sat on the couch that night, munching on granola when all of a sudden (close your eyes gentlemen), I sunk into one very wet cushion.

Took me a few minutes to realize my water had broken. On the couch. (Yes, we had it cleaned...;)

So anyway, there we were, my husband and I, giggling as we tore open packages of baby tee-shirts and such, and threw them into the wash. See, I thought I'd have plenty of time for that while on leave from work. Reality? Not so much because Matt showed up a mere eight hours later (that story is a bit horrendous to report, but needless to say, all turned out fine in the end).

I never did go back to work at the Y. Instead, I fell in love with a tiny, red-haired boy (a miniature of his dad :), and began to write stories about parenting--something I knew nothing about, Lol! My first 'big break' came with the story, "Baby, Cordless Phone, and Me" published by Expecting magazine (they actually published it four times).

But I'm waxing on, here, aren't I? Ah well...today my son and I are going on a college visitation. It's a bit out of town, so I'll be leaving him there to spend the night in the dorms and get a taste of college life. He's taller than me, and handsome as all get out (like his dad!), but that doesn't mean I don't get teary-eyed just thinking of how fast the years have gone by. Just hope no one sees me dabbing my eyes as I drive away from campus...

6 comments:

Lisa Jordan said...

Julie,

My oldest son turns 19 on Halloween. At the end of August, we took him to college and drove off without him. As we pulled out of the driveway, my brain was screaming, "NO! Go back! He's too young. He's not ready." I sobbed all the way home.

I'd have to say that's one of the hardest things I've done as a mom, but you know what? God reminded me gently that He would watch out for him. My son is doing great and loves college life. He's maturing into a wonderful man. I still get teary-eyed now and then...

Praying for this new season in your life!

Tamara L Kelly said...

I haven't had this experience yet. My oldest is sixteen and still has another two years. I'll remember to pack the tissues when we drop her off.Thanks for the touching stories.

Sue said...

Awww... Happy Birthday to your son. I hope he enjoys his first taste of college life and that you survive sending him off out into the big world!

Anonymous said...

Sue started her message the way that I had ......awwwww..

Sweet, sweet story.

Patty

Julie Carobini said...

Hi Ladies! I just realized that he's old enough to sign his own notes at school! How crazy is that? Bless you guys--Julie

Michelle V said...

The years do seem to fly by, don't they?! My oldest is about to turn 17 and I can't believe it! Hope he had a good birthday and a fun college visit.

Blessings
Michelle