Thursday, June 17, 2010

Class of 2010

My eldest kiddo is graduating from high school today and I have to say, I'm so emotional. I joke about it but it's so true. As I type this, I'm fighting tears (and not winning).

Is this crazy?

He's a good kid, and he's grown into a bright, funny, loving, young man. I'm excited to see what God has planned for him, and where He'll lead him.

Matt'll be moving away to college in Auguest--not too far away, thankfully--but even though it's exciting, it's also bittersweet. It means that the next phase in his life has begun, that the cord that binds us has gotten a little bit longer, and that soon he won't be needing our input quite so often. It means I'll be staring at the ceiling some nights, wondering what he's up to, knowing I should think twice before picking up the phone. Admittedly, it means the space I sometimes longed for as a sleep-deprived young mom--and the letting go I don't feel quite ready to do.

So here's to the class of 2010. May they live long and prosper ~ and call their mothers often!

3 comments:

Sarah Wylie said...

Aw, this is so sweet! Congrats to Matt and you too, Julie!

Denise H. said...

So hard to let our kids go. I'm right behind you, Julie. We've go two more years to go and I'm already dreading it. Congratulations to Matt!

Pain SUX said...

Congrats Julie...and congrats to Matt! I know what you mean...my oldest is 19 already and my youngest is 5. Oh how the time flies.

~Steph
soklad@hotmail.com