Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Machine Broke

How often does a nearly new, state of the art radiation machine break? Apparently at least once. That's what Kristy was told yesterday when she arrived for her first radiation treatment. Her and hubby Milton's reaction?

They laughed.

And that's what I've come to love about them. They live out the verse in the Bible that says a merry heart makes good medicine. They also gave credit to the thousands out there praying, telling the technician that "all these prayers overpowered your machine."

I think that's why I choose to write stories that have an element of humor (you do think I'm funny, right? lol...) As I've continued to brainstorm new ideas (Sorry for that awful pun. Something tells me Kristy would laugh at that, though), many have serious overtones, yet a sort of organic humor often pours from the situations. My mother tells me that when I had my own tumor, I did crazy, funny things. (Some might have thought it was the meds talking, but my mother knows me too well ;) Seriously, I think God gave us laughter to help us combat the things we just cannot control.

Like machine's that break. It's absurd that Kristy would have to emotionally gear up for treatment only to be told the machine is broken. But I like her's and Milton's style because they laughed. As they've said, "God is at work, and we choose to trust him." And they're not kidding.

For more on Kristy, read her blog here.

No comments: