Thursday, February 07, 2008

You talkin' to me?

Last year I flubbed up a radio interview. Not that anyone actually told me that, but somehow I knew. See, because of the PST issue, the interview took place at 6 AM (!) my time, and anyone who knows me understands that I shouldn't be asked important questions before 10 (right, hon?)

With a new book out,
I've now been interviewed twice: once for a podcast on cwahm.com, and once for cbd.com. There's something so magical about an interviewer who tells you the audio will be edited. Gotta love that! And I had a chance for a large latte before each interview, so that should help.

But now that some time has passed,
I'm wondering what I said. Even worse, I'm thinking up newer and better answers. And this is why I love to write. When the story's gelling, I jot it down, but as I drive around doing the taxi thing for my kids, my characters and I have these fun little conversations where they suggest changes to their stories, and I, the dutiful scribe, comply.

If only that worked with pre-taped interviews, eh?
Ah well. One interviewer asked what I do to relax, and I literally stalled and held my breath. Would it be a cliche if I told her I went to the beach??? I finally let that breath out and told her exactly that. Later, off air, she said, "If you had not told me that I would have been so disappointed!"

Hahaha...so I guess I did one thing right. I'll let y'all know when those interviews are up--or not. LOL...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be awful at interviews. I don't feel comfortable enough with my accent to even talk on the phone at work.

Damselfly said...

Ah, I get it. I'm used to being the one doing the interviewing.

Don't feel too bad. At least you got out the important message about your book. I did a TV interview for my book *with frizzy hair.* I was about six weeks pregnant and feeling blah and had to drive four hours to get to the taping. I'm sure I don't want a copy of that interview! TV interviews are tough because of that extra layer, the visual.

Chaos-Jamie said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I do NOT do well in person. I compose my thoughts for a reason. I say way too much that shouldn't be said if I don't have a chance to write it first. (And sometimes even when I do, I fear.)

Hey, I got Truffles yesterday. Oooo, la, la!