Saturday, February 16, 2008

Becoming Julie

Watched Becoming Jane last night with my hubby--and yes, he's fabulous for:

* Sitting through a chick movie
* Sitting through a Historical chick movie
* Sitting through a Historical, chick movie set in England
* Listening to my running commentary about the film and the main character beginning last evening and continuing on through our walk along the beach this morning.

There's a funny little scene in the movie where the very rich Lady Gresham comes calling. In the midst of conversation, Jane (Austen) excuses herself and runs to a concrete bench against the house, sits and begins to work furiously on something in her lap.

Lady Gresham: "What is she doing?"

The nephew: "Writing."

A look of dismay covers Lady Gresham's wrinkled old face: "Can anything be done about it?"

LOL--And that's the thing with writers (you know who you are). A thought will strike, often at inopportune times, but you are compelled to get it down on paper or you will most likely die.

My family never bothers with the question that Lady Gresham asked because they already know the answer: "No." They understand that they are bound to find me lost in thought in the midst of a crowded room, and that all those scraps of paper in my car should never be discarded, and that what they say just might make it into the mouth of a future character.

What can I say? It's what I've become. Can anyone relate?

1 comment:

Chaos-Jamie said...

Jinkies! Gotta watch that flick! All my scraps of paper are giving me newfound hope.