Monday, July 02, 2007

Rockin' Mama

Despite the horrendous traffic, and although we were bumped from our hotel and it took over an hour to find another decent one, the concert last Friday night in Chula Vista rocked! Teen Son and I went to see Brad Paisley (If you've read Chocolate Beach this'll probably not be much of a surprise.) Also there: Kellie Pickler (yes, the calamari "lover"), Jack Ingram, and Taylor Swift. Needless to say, I was thoroughly hoarse by the end of the 3 hour show.

Tidbits from the concert:

* Kellie Pickler abruptly ended her set in tears while singing I wonder a song she wrote about her tumultuous relationship with her mother. And yes, much to Teen Son's chagrin, tears sprung to my eyes too.

* Jack Ingram. Really didn't know who he was, but he sang an awesome song about his own relationship with his missing father called, Measure of a Man. Impressive.

* Taylor Swift. Seventeen year old spitfire leaps around on stage, guitar swinging around her neck, playing hit after hit, many written by her own hand. Her voice went flat at times, but who really cared? A born performer. (Teen Son takes issue with my assessment of her voice, but she's gorgeous and me thinks he's too ga-ga to notice how she sounded at times. All I'm sayin'.)

* At one point, Teen Son cracked up because when he looked to his left, he caught me rockin' out much like the woman to his right--who was also there with her son. Long live the 80s--LOL

updated: Btw, Brad. was. amazing. Didn't I mention that? Especially loved when he sang When I Get Where I'm Going, and showed pics of some of those who've recently gone on to heaven (like Johnny and June Cash).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

mom!!!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to see that show when it went through town, but it was the same night as Harry Connick Jr. I'm a big fan of Brad & Jack and would have totally gotten my moneys worth. I'm so glad you both had a GREAT time!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds fabulous!

By the way, I found your blog through "vader's mom". I also read Chocolate Beach. I LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I can not WAIT for your next book. I read Chocolate Beach in a day!