Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Mussels and urchins and crabs, oh my!

For a college assignment, a few years back, I wrote a 20-page paper on the life of the sea anenome. See? I was destined to write about the beach stuff, don't ya think?

Anyway, this week I'll be taking an excursion out to Frenchy's Cove off Anacapa Island to frolick in the tidepools with elementary girl. Pray for me because I have the sniffles and I don't want to miss this!

Sea life has always fascinated me. Think about it. There's a world of life under the water, and what must that be like? I've been dragging my kids out to tidepools ever since they could walk, actually before they could. You just haven't lived until you've seen the face of a child whose fingers have just been grasped by an anemone's tentacles, or who's found a rough-skinned seastar molded to a rock. Do we have a creative God or what!

Lots of aquariums out there for those of you not living close enough to walk the tides yourselves. Nothing like coming face to face with a shark! (Actually, I avoid those exhibits ;-0 Thank God for thick glass, though, lol. Anyway, if you've been to a good one, drop me a line. And if you've found a tidepool somewhere just brimming with live creatures, let me know that too. Just might want to drag, um, take the family there sometime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie! Sounds like fun!

Lots of great tide pools as you go more north, I think. Most of the really good ones that I know are Moro Bay area (I vacationed there every summer as a kid).

Santa Barbara has a cool exhibit on the peir that they just reopened. My kids really like it--lots to touch and see.

Oh, and Long Beach has a marine exhibit that's amazing--I forget the name of it though...

I know there's a tide pool at Lio Carillo down south a bit, but I've only been there once when it actually had anything worth seeing--it's a very high traffic area as beaches go. They do have a few sea lions, however, that frequent there. I named them/it Norm (they all look alike). He hangs out on the rock when you surf and barks at you. :P

Have fun at Anacapa!

Rachel

Julie said...

Hi Julie,
I'm over here from Chip's blog. My daughter WISHES I loved the beach as much as you do! As my husband says, if it weren't for the sand and all of that salty water, we'd LOVE the beach. LOL

Congratulations on your debut novel!

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I've been to the Georgia Aqarium twice. I went once with my fam and once with my bloggy friend. It was really cool and I don't even like fish! Here's some pix from my blog and from my friends'. If you ever get down to ATL let me know and I'll be your tour guide at the Aquarium!