Saturday, September 14, 2013

Writing Life

It's a strange thing, this writing about one's own life. I'm writing a story that will sound oh so familiar to some, and yet not so much. It's the story of a guy who experiences tragedy then meets a gal who faces a couple of terrible situations of her own.

For those of you who are writers, don't worry ~ that wasn't my elevator pitch.

Anyway, it's based (loosely, sort of) on the early years of Dan (husband) and me. Sometimes when I look back on who we were back then, and where we were emotionally and spiritually, I have to pause. Life was really hard. Yet meeting each other was really sweet ~ and sometimes pretty tough.

I didn't start off this post with any kind of outline, or with a solid direction of where it would end up. This isn't a round-up piece, like the ones I used to write for giftware magazines and the like. It's just me thinking out loud about how odd it is to make up a story that's not completely made up.

Like the other night when I was writing a scene from the male character's POV. It's one of those reflective scenes that could easily bore a person to tears, so I knew that something had to happen. So of course, he sees her. As I moved deeper into "the zone," the scene crystallized in my mind. I knew what he was thinking, and instinctively, what would happen next.

When I got to the part about him seeing her jogging toward him, and the way he described her long limbs striding, her dark hair blowing behind her, I giggled a little. Because technically, he is Dan, and she is me, and I basically wrote that I was willowy and strong. A reader might actually infer that she/I was pretty.

You see why this is so difficult?

Ours is a great story, one that's continuing to unfold. I've wanted to novelize it for years, and with Dan's prodding, I'm finally doing it. Just hope I can successfully blend fact and fiction, leave the boring parts out, and show the beauty that truly can come from ashes.


3 comments:

Denise Z said...

I'm thinking you're the best person to write it and you'll blend it perfectly! Can't wait for the finished product!

Julie Carobini said...

Thanks so much, Denise! 😍

Sharon Leaf said...

Oh, Julie, I'm so excited for you, because as you know my novel, Lady and the Sea, is based on my true story. I had so much fun with it, but also went through the same emotions that you're going through (and will continue until you write THE END at the finished product. It is challenging to write a novel based on your true story but its so fun when someone who doesn't know you, asks, "Is the protagonist YOU?" When you answer yes, they get twice as excited, which always makes me smile. :)