Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Julia and Julie II

Sorry for the delay in posts. Been writing on deadline while juggling too many other hats, and it's taking longer than originally expected. Can you relate?

As I've said before, I'm working on a book set in and around the famed Hearst Castle, designed by architect Julia Morgan. Morgan was the first female to graduate from UC Berkely with a degree in Civil Engineering, and later, the first woman to receive a certificate in architecture from Ecole Nationale et Speciale des Beaux-Arts in Paris.

On a recent tour of the sprawling castle, we were shown this lean-to off one outer wall. This was Julia Morgan's office. She spent nearly 30 years working on that hill with some of the most expensive pieces of art from all over Europe, creating a lavish castle that hosted A-list celebrity guests ~ and she worked in a tiny, nearly windowless office. Phew, that woman got a lot done!

With the hot breath of this deadline scorching my neck, I'm looking for a non-distracting place to get my work done. So, I'm wondering...do you think they rent that thing out?

No comments: