Monday, October 13, 2008

Writing: It's the Team, Grommit!

COUNTDOWN: 6 Days till the Big Apple

Before I get into writing, let me just say, next time I'm hiring a travel planner! Holy cow, it's a lot of work to plan a trip to a strange place for five people, even though we've plenty of friends who've lived in or near NYC. We're basically trying to cram two weeks of sight seeing into four days in one of the most expensive places on earth--can't wait, Lol!

But, alas, it's Monday, and aside from all the last minute buying for the trip, I still have some writing details to handle. Here's a SHOUT OUT to the SALES TEAM at B&H Publishing Group who are meeting this week! Thanks for all you do for your authors, Team!

Just learned the other day that a trailer has been made for SWEET WATERS, and that it's FABULOUS! Haven't seen it yet, but as soon as I'm able to post, I will. And that brings me to today's topic of team writing. I've often been asked if I design my covers, and after a bit of chortling, I offer a resounding 'No." See, that's not my gift (my brother Mikey is an artist/animator for movies, such as the upcoming BOLT by Disney, but that's a story for another day...)

Anyway, I'm thankful that so far I've been assigned cover designers who do have 'the gift.' Chocolate Beach's was surprising and amazing all wrapped into one, and my newest cover is exactly what I would have designed--if I'd had that gift myself.

So while I write the words that eventually get sliced and diced slightly edited before making it into the book (kidding, but that's also a story for another day), it's other people that take that story, wrap it in a winsome cover, and convince bookstores it's worthy of shelf space. No author (The Shack author aside, haha) could do it without them. And with all the competition out there, not to mention the economic woes we'd have to hide under a boulder to avoid, book sales people have their work cut out for them.

Tip of the day:
Be a part of the sales team! If you don't find your favorite book in your local store, ask them to order it for you. I've been doing this for years to let my bookstore know what kinds of books I think :) they should be stocking.

Have a beachy day, my friends--wherever you are!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd always wondered how covers come to be. Is that someone who's read your book then "gets a feel" of what the cover should be? Because, yes, I'm creative to an extent, right, I wrote the book, but artwork is not something I'm good at....

Thanks for the post!

Brittanie said...

Often I have to get Barnes and Noble to order the Christian Fiction that I want. I think it might be annoying to them ordering for me but I don't want to pay the shipping fee for one book online from their store. Plus I like to go to the bookstore. :)

Julie Carobini said...

That's a great question, Lynn. The art director for B&H did read my latest book, and the cover reflects that. Actually, it reflects both the locale and the romance aspect very well!

And Brittanie, bless you! I've talked to several Barnes and Noble managers who tell me that Christian Fiction is their fastest growing section--and you're playing a part in that :)