Friday, August 15, 2008

Footloose!

Let's Hear it for the Boy... Almost Paradise... Holding Out for a Hero...

Lol...yeah, some of the old classics for you. Last night Teen Kids and I saw a live production of Footloose, a musical based on the film about midwestern kids fighting for their right to dance. Lots of terrific characterization and faith questions too. (Word is that a remake is in the works, with Zach Efron. Perfect.) I've waxed poetic about live theater on several occasions, including when Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber appeared on Idol.

Anyway, in case you missed it, Kevin Bacon's a dancing maniac in the 1984 movie of the same name. I had the album in college (Go ahead; do the math. I'll wait. Ready?) Anyway, I played that thing constantly in my dorm room. Actually, it went more like this: I'd put on the album, and jump onto the bed while my roommate Tracy threw open our door and shouted into the hall, "Everybody get foot-loose!" Then we'd scream and dance and occasionally throw a trashcan out each other. Not sure why on that last one.

Ah, memories. Lol...

So back to last night. Kudos to the Rubicon Theater Company!!! What an amazing, electric production! The singing, the dancing, the serendipitous trip down memory lane... Especially fun since the kids all new at least a couple of the performers. Wish I could see it again.

Have a beachy weekend...wherever you are!

p.s. If you're a Footloose fan, I'd love to hear about it :)

2 comments:

Dan Navarro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan Navarro said...

I haven't seen the live version of "Footloose," but of course I remember the movie. I have great respect for Kevin Bacon and for that film, but I still think the best version of "Footloose" EVER is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIUgG78e-g0