Monday, November 24, 2008

Writing on Monday--Brainstorm

So we adopted our beagle-mix, Charlie, on Saturday...and he keeps growling at Teen Son. His foster parents tell me poor Charlie was probably abused by a boy or two, because they experienced the same thing on occasion. We're working through it (God Bless Teen Son for trying), but if anyone has some fabulous advice, then in the words of Frasier Crane, "I'm listening."

Other than growling at Teen Son,
Charlie's been easy peasy, playful, and funny too. Reminds me why so many people write dogs into their books. Don't be surprised to find one in an upcoming book of mine--my mind's a whirrin'!

Speaking of brainstorming, how many of you writers think about your stories during church? Go on. Be brave, and be honest. I certainly do. (shhh...best not to mention this to my pastor). During yesterday's service in particular, the ideas were swirling, the plot solidifying, new characters yakking...yeah, I'm heading into a new book.

And not the book I'd planned.
See, I'm writing a series of three stories set in picturesque Otter Bay, CA. Until a couple of weeks ago, I was heading into book 2, but after much internal debate, I've decided to move book 3 into the 2nd position, or 'posish', as Teen Daughter would say.

All the more reason
to be storming my brain with new thoughts and twists and plot points. Time is of the essence, especially during the holidays (not to mention the doggie-training days), so when I'm seated in church, and away from the hub-bub, I seem to hear God better about both life and books.

Hm.
Maybe I should've asked His advice about the growling doggie...;)


p.s. For those who have asked, I'm juliecarobini on twitter.

3 comments:

Sarah Wylie said...

Yay for Charlie! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family:)

Brenda said...

Congrats on your new dog. He's really cute. I don't have any advice about the growling at your son, but you might get some good info from your vet. Good luck with that. btw... I miss Fraser. Happy Thanksgiving and happy writing!

Julie Carobini said...

Happy Thxgiving to you ladies too! Met with the trainer today, and we've set a plan in motion :)