Monday, April 21, 2008

the Gospel according to Godspell

One of those mornings. I just realized that Elementary Girl forgot her lunch--grrr. Which means doubling back (15 min. each way
plus time to run into her class), plus a gallon of gas. Grrr..grr. Such is the life of Mom, huh?

Probably wouldn't be so tired if I hadn't stayed up so late watching Godspell. As y'all know, I love watching movies over the weekend. Anyway, my friend gave us a copy to watch, and out of curiosity, I did. Adapted from Broadway, it's a groovy, psychedelic, musical take on the Gospel of Matthew. Sort of. I remember a troupe performing it at my Catholic school when I was in about third grade. To this day I can sing one of its hit songs, Day by Day, and all the echoes, by heart. Think that's because we sang it in church a lot. And I also chimed in when in the movie all the flower children disciples sang the melodious Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord.

And check out this picture of Victor Garber (Titanic, Alias) as Jesus.

Unfortunately, I was So Sad that the resurrection was left out. My hubby was sure that the song Oh Happy Day (we heard this live by Chris Tomlin last year) was in the movie, which it surely could have been since it was released in its modern form (it was originally a hymn) in 1967. As it was, the movie ended with the flower children carrying the crucified Jesus through the crowded streets of Manhattan.

But how much more powerful
would it have been if they'd included the whole Gospel? After he rose from the dead, they could've all gathered around and sung Oh Happy Day ("When Jesus Died...He Washed my Sins Away...He Died and Rose Again.") Too bad nobody asked me for my opinion, eh? My friend's daughter is in a stage version, and I'll have to ask if it carries the storyline further...hm.

Ah well.
I realize that this is old news for some, but since I'd never seen the movie version, it's fresh in my mind. As is the heavy responsibility that we authors have to get it right when we include the spiritual lives of our characters.

I'm signing off to write, because my mom just called and offered to take Elementary Girl her lunch! (Oh, Happy Day :) Feel free to offer your opinion of this movie or play, if you've seen it. Oh, and this song is stuck in my head. Tell me if you know it (and love it!), too.

Oh, Dear Lord, Three things I pray~

See thee more clearly
Love Thee more dearly
Follow thee more nearly

Day by Day

8 comments:

Ronel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ronel said...

Julie,

Not sure about the rest of the lyrics but it does sound familiar. I have not seen the movie you are talking about but I will see if they have it on Netflix.

Hope you have a great day!!

Blessings, Ronel

Julie Carobini said...

Warning Ronel--It's from the 70s! Very disco-ish.

Jana said...

I've never seen that one, but I do know the song. I was in A Midsummer Night's Dream when I was a kid, and we had to use the same set as Godspell. Have you ever tried to make a set full of chain link fences look like a Shakespearean garden? It was interesting.

Georgiana Daniels said...

I know the DC Talk version of the song. Yay for grandma's who are willing to take lunches! I've sooo been there =)

Sudiegirl said...

I've never seen Godspell - only heard the music. It's not one of my favorites but I know many have been moved by it.

someone came to my blog from your blog so I thought I'd check you out. Looks good!

Unknown said...

Julie,

I am a total Godspell fanatic! I'm still in high school, but I have big dreams to make a new "Godspell" movie. Very far fetched I know, but hey, it's possible! However, if I made a new one, I'd A) Make sure it shows Jesus rising from the dead and B) Not as "Flower Power" as the first one.

Anonymous said...

The most beautiful song in the show. I grew up with it playing in my head, but never realized it wasn't on the movie soundtrack. Now I wonder where I heard it first. It is floating around the Internet, e.g. Limewire.