Monday, December 31, 2007

Out with the old...and in with the Happy New Year!

What a year! Book signings, a coastal book tour, conferences, radio and print interviews, a blour…I’m pooped. As an article writer for nearly 16 years, I was used to sending in my stuff and moving on.

But books are different, and I’ve learned to take time to step out from behind the computer screen occasionally to meet fiction fans. For a nervous nellie like myself, it's been daunting, yet exhilarating too. THANKS SO MUCH to all of you who’ve popped in here to visit, or joined me at signings. I’ve enjoyed getting to know YOU!

So here’s that year-end wrap up I’ve been mulling. One thing I’ve learned is—other than book signings—I don’t get out much, lol. Seriously, I reviewed the list of 2007 films and found that I hadn’t seen many. I’m listing those I liked, plus one I probably would have liked should I have actually paid the 9+ bucks to see it. Feel free to leave a comment with some of your faves.

Okay, Movies of 2007 I liked

Dan in Real Life
(Sooo sweet, plus scenes of coastal Rhode Island, ahhh)
Freedom Writers (Patrick Dempsey plays such a dweeb)
The Ultimate Gift (Lots to chew on here)
Blades of Glory (Kinda sick, but made me laugh)
Hairspray (Great music!)
Amazing Grace (Didn't see it, but it’s on my dvd watching list for 2008)

2007 Books I Read and Liked
(I'm probably forgetting some, but these are standouts.)

A Promise to Remember, Kathryn Cushman (Riveting, a real page-turner, I loved it.)

Surrender Bay, Denise Hunter (Stunning allegory)

The Book of Jane, Dayton & Vanderbilt (fun, smooth reading)

Renovating Becky Miller, Sharon Hinck (Made me want to find myself an old farmhouse, lol...not)

Island of the Blue Dolphins, Scott O'Dell (Children's classic, but I ate up this story about a lost indian girl on an island not far from where I live. A must read, even tho' it came out way before '07!)

Every Good & Perfect Gift, Sharon K. Souza (I read this for endorsement; it’s not out yet. All I can say is “Wow!" A new author to watch.)

2007 TV Shows


Samantha Who? (I miss Gilmore Girls, but have found this fun new show. Weird premise, crazy characters—wish I’d thought of it.)
American Idol, of course.
House Hunters & House Hunters International (my poor husband...)

YouTube of the Year: Hilarious. I come from a family of sensitive guys, so this makes me laugh every time. If you’ve never watched Scrubs (I wouldn’t blame you since it’s gotten pretty outrageous), these guys are best friends on the show.



And finally, Inspiration of the Year:
I want to be this girl when I grow up. May she inspire us all in 2008 to get out there and serve somebody.

Teen brings school to Cambodia

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Scrubs! It has gotten silly but it's still a good laugh.

And I agree with you...I love House Hunters!

Julie Carobini said...

Happy New Year VM! And don't you love it when HH goes somewhere cool like Paris or the Caribbean?

Damselfly said...

Oh, we would get along so well! I enjoyed Freedom Writers, read Island of the Blue Dolphins a few years back and *love* Scrubs!

Happy '08!

Sharon Hinck said...

Hey! I just spotted this post! Thanks for the mention of Renovating Becky Miller. Hee hee!

At least you wouldn't have Becky's problems with furnaces and snow on the roof. :-)

Kathryn Cushman said...

Thanks Julie! I've never made anyone's best of before :-)
I can't wait for Truffles by the Sea to hit the shelves!!!