Friday, June 20, 2008

Writing on Friday--Mentoring Groups & Debbie Fuller Thomas

A friend has just given birth to a new "baby" and I'd like to share in her joy :) Debbie Fuller Thomas and I met at the Mt. Hermon Christian Writer's Conference in Northern California. We were both part of a mentoring group led by author Randy Ingermanson. Probably one of the most terrifying experiences of my writing life. Actually, there've been others more terror-worthy since, but that one took the scary cake at the time.

Anyway. The mentoring groups meet during the conference. Participants sit around a table after having pre-read each others' manuscripts, and then offer face to face critiques. I'd submitted Chocolate Beach that year, and let me tell you, I was nervous. It turned out fabulously well though because after receiving my knee-shaking critiques, I went home and re-worked the story, and as I've said (maybe a little ad nauseum ;), it sold.

Debbie was part of that same group, with her manuscript, Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon. I remember her story well because it was dripping with emotion and conflict, and it gave me chills. I wanted so much to know how it ended, and finally--publishing can take years--I get to find out. My daughter also read through the manuscript and is anxiously awaiting the finished book, but she'll have to fight me for it, ha.

Here's a terrific review of Debbie's debut over at Novel Journey. I hope you'll check it out. And if want to write, and you're able to attend the Mt. Hermon Christian Writer's Conference, I urge you to do it.

Have a beachy weekend, my bloggity friends--wherever you are!

6 comments:

Brittanie said...

I loved this book. It is great. I can't wait to read more from this author. :)

Jana said...

I don't think I can make it to California for a writing conference, but I found one in Philadelphia I might be able to attend. I really miss the critiquing sessions from college, when all the writing students would read each others' work and then offer criticism. And of course the profs were all published writers, so their input was tremendously valuable.

Now if I can just get the rest of my book straightened out enough that it's ready to be critiqued...

Ronel said...

This sounds like an amazing story!! I just added it to my too read list.

Have a great weekend!!
Ronel

Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

I had no idea our little mentoring group terrified you! That strikes me as funny. LOL Especially because you were the first of the group to get a contract, as I recall!

I'm looking forward to reading Debbie's book so much! Can I use one more exclamation point in this comment?! LOL)

Becky

Julie Carobini said...

Well, of course I was terrified, Becky! But it made me work harder!!! (trying to beat you on the exclamation point usage...;)

Debbie said...

Julie, thanks so much for posting about my book! And yes, mentoring clinics can be intimidating, but didn't Randy make it fun, and we met so many great new and upcoming authors. It was great to see you at Mt. Hermon.
Debbie