Thursday, June 12, 2008

Pomp & Circumstance

Teen daughter graduated from middle school last night, and is officially on to high school. Wa-hoo! As we settled in for the ceremony, a couple of people informed us that these things "usually take 3 hours." We hadn't eaten, and besides, I wasn't sure we were all capable of actually sitting that long. Thankfully, though, these were exaggerations. The ceremony went zippity zip and completed in two hours. Very nice!

Lots of tears and hugs afterward, and I suddenly became like the paparazzi, following Teen Daughter around and snapping pics whenever she stopped for a 1/2 second. "Look there she goes." "Wait--where'd she go?" "Oh, quick, over there!" Yeah, me and a camera--it's a beautiful thing. LOL... She'll be thanking me later, I know it.

Can I be honest about something though? I am so very happy to get the drama of middle school behind us. She learned much from some terrific teachers, and has matured beautifully, and has made some sweet friends, but those 11-13s are rough, rough, rough, I tell you. (Mean girls ain't just a movie!) Can you relate?

So congrats to my precious daughter for rising above the drama ~ and to the rest of our household who survived ;-)

4 comments:

Jana said...

Congratulations to your daughter! I remember those middle school years all too well - I went to a school that housed 7th through 12th grade, so the abuse we received as middle-schoolers was excessive. We didn't get a graduation ceremony, either, because we just moved across the hall to the high school, LOL!

Ronel said...

Congrats to your daughter!!

Jane said...

Aw, congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you and your daughter for surviving and graduating!

This year our girl drama started in fourth grade!!! Isn't that too early??? From past history, I hoped we could avoid it a little longer. As I recall, it doesn't end after middle school. Maybe it helps develop character...(the hard way)? Just one blessing of having girls...(from a mother of four beautiful girls).