Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Save gas

A lot of you told me you wouldn't be taking vacation this year because of the gas crunch. I so get that. With three kiddos, I drive around town a lot, and spend way too much time and moola at the gas pump.

Then last week, I got a nail in one of tires, and had to have it patched. The tire company offered to fill my tires with nitrogen instead of regular air, saying it saved mileage along with wear and tear. We agreed. Oh. my. goodness. My 1/2 tank lasted a week!!! I did a little search on google, and found that Nascar's been using nitrogen for years.

Not everyone agrees that it makes any difference, but for me it's been huge. And it only cost 4 bucks per tire--same as a gallon of gas, these days (yikes). Just wanted to pass that along...vacation, anyone?

7 comments:

Jana said...

Wow, I've never heard of this! I'll have to tell my hubby - he loves anything that'll get him better mileage.

Ronel said...

Wow, I am going to have to check into this... I need to save on gas.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Very Interesting.

Thanks!

Brittanie said...

Interesting. I find that I use a lot of gas on the weekends running around town. ;)

Georgiana Daniels said...

Great tip! I'm going to suggest that to hubby since we're constantly getting the tires replaced.

Question: how many miles a day do you drive? I've been paying close attention lately, and I'm trying to keep it under 25. Some days are better than others.

Julie Carobini said...

Gee, Georgiana, I'm not sure. It's 5 miles to school each way, so that would be 20 right there. Plus my son drives himself to school, so that's another 12. But then there's shopping, and piano, and gymnastics, and yada, yada...I've never really kept count ('cuz I don't think I really want to know.)

Amy said...

Wow, that's cool.