Monday, January 10, 2011

Elephant Seals!

As much as I LOVE my work, I'd rather be heading up north to see the elephant seal pups being birthed this time of year. If you ever get the chance to visit the central coast Dec. through March, DO! Here's a link to some great viewing spots near San Simeon that cost nothing but gas money (which, I know, can be a lot, but still ...): Friends of the Elephant Seal. (The website's a bit involved, but if you're at all interested, it'll give you the info you need.) Or go here for quick info: elephant seals

If you decide to stay in the area, one of our favorite places is the Fogcatcher Inn on Moonstone Beach Drive. If you've read any of my Otter Bay Novels, you'll find the area, um, quite familiar :) We like the Fogcatcher because the rooms are comfy, a decent size for our family, and they have great breakfasts (what can I say ... my kids love to eat). If you're looking for a romantic spot, there are lots of cozier, beachfront places along Moonstone, too. We've stayed at quite a few, so feel free to drop me an email if you're looking for a recommendation.

Ah, well. It's back to work today. I've got endorsements to write, a proposal to finish, and that eBook to complete and upload. But that doesn't mean I won't be dreaming about heading north ...

6 comments:

Diane Marie Shaw said...

Sitting in my home in Colorado, with temperatures in the single digit, I would love to escape to the beach. I love the mountains but I miss the water. I grew up on Lake Michigan in Illinois. Summers were filled with daily trips to the beach. The sounds and smells of being at the water's edge bring a joy to my soul. I can dream.

Julie Carobini said...

Aw, that sounds so dreamy, Diane. I've heard so much about Lake Michigan, Diane, that I've got it on my radar to visit sometime too. With my husband's family in NW Pennsylvania, I'm not sure why we never have. Dream big :)

Sheryl Bullock said...

We're looking forward to heading up there this weekend when friends come to visit. The new extended boardwalk has been completed which will allow so many more people to enjoy the front row view.

Sharon Leaf said...

I have nothing to give you to dream about from the frozen south today, but your website and blog warms be from head to toe! How do you do it all? You're an amazing woman! We've never met face-to-face, but from our conversations on Facebook, I feel like you're one of my beach buddies. I'm looking forward to interviewing you next week on The Gate Beautiful blog talk radio show.
See you on the radio!

Pamela Hamer said...

You have my interest when you mention Hurst Castle. My husband and I love that place. Thanks for a recommendation on a place to stay in the area. We look forward to visiting again. I didn't know you have to type the e-books and upload them. I thought the publisher would do that...

Julie Carobini said...

Hi Pamela, Sent you a msg on FB today, but just saw your comment about the ebook. Ebooks weren't as popular when my first couple of novels were published. When those paperbacks went out of print, the rights reverted to me. Now that ebooks have taken off, I decided to make those older novels available in both Nook and Kindle formats. My publisher does handle the ebook formats of my current novels.