Wednesday, January 17, 2007

In defense of Minnesota

Could American Idol have been any sadder last night? Seventeen people out of 10k were sent to Hollywood to face even more rejection. Seventeen! And how many of those did we see last night? Okay, I didn't count. But it felt like 3. The rest of the two! hour! special! was spent watching contestants' hopes dashed, and dreams buried. In AI's defense, some of those contestants knew that going in. I mean, c'mon--Urban Amish? Cowardly Lion impressons? What was that?

Still, an awful lot of jokes were tossed around at the expense of Minnesotans. And obviously, some great talent was edited out of the final show. These are my peeps were talkin' about because my publisher, Bethany House, is located in MN.

All I can say is look out Seattle...here they come...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Wednesday to ya! I managed to catch the last hour of AI and oh. my. goodness! I was fortunate (?) enough to see the Cowardly Lion routine--I think she ruined The Wizard of Oz for me. I'll be tuning in again tonight! :)

Anonymous said...

I have a gut feeling tonight will be worse. In the previews for tonight I think Simon said "Seattle is the worst city yet." And I don't think he's talking about our rain.

Nervous in Seattle

Sharon Hinck said...

Thanks for your defense of Minnesota. We have a HEALTHY arts community - great symphonies, ballet companies, some of the best professional theatre outside of New York, and plenty of musical talent. I've long been covinced that the long dark winter and harsh climate breeds the angst that feeds great art. Unfortunately, AI found a few people that were way past creative neurosis and whose brain cells were out in the sub-zero wind-chill too long.

Julie Carobini said...

LOL, Virginia. Yeah, I think that spoiled Oz for me as well.