Tuesday, December 12, 2006

On Lowen & Navarro

Seen Happy Feet? If so, you've heard my cousin, Dan Navarro, singin'. He sings lead on Leader of the Pack and does a flamenco intro and backgrounds to Robin Williams’ vocal on My Way. Love it! Elementary Girl’s been begging to see it, so no more delays!

On a tender note, cuz Dan’s long time writing and singing buddy, Eric Lowen, has been diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. Lowen & Navarro have been performing concerts and recording albums for years. My hub, Dan, and I have seen them perform many times because they’re that good. Pat Benatar recorded one of their songs in the 80s, and gave them a hit. Remember We Belong? Yup, they wrote it. On stage they do a mean “Spanglish” version of it. Cracks. Me. Up. Unfortunately, Eric’s no longer able to stroll through the crowds with his guitar, but he’s doing a fabulous job of spreading the word of this insidious disease. Click here to see the documentary-style clip. In it, Dan and Eric appear with Queen's Brian May (now there's a history blast for you) and singer Lynn Carey Saylor, who has re-recorded We Belong.

Also from Saylor's site:

...donations are now being accepted for The Eric Lowen Trust. Donations will help to offset the enormous costs of fighting his illness and help support his family, which includes 5 minor age children.
The Eric Lowen Trust 2554 Lincoln Blvd. #255 Venice, CA 90291 U.S.A.

If wishing to donate via PayPal, the address for that is EricLowenTrust@LowNav.com

Encouraging letters, well wishes and mentions of how much you enjoy the song are also greatly appreciated and can be emailed to Eric Lowen directly at elowen@lownav.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually blogged about my thoughts on Happy Feet...leave me a comment to see if you concur! :)

Sorry to hear about Eric...

Julie Carobini said...

Hey Virginia,

Tried to comment on your site, but it wouldn't let me! Had the same prob on another beta site. Sigh. Guess it's like I'm from the other side of the tracks...

Anonymous said...

Hee! No problem...I think non-beta blogs can't comment on beta blogs...I switched not that long ago. You should try it! It's a fun toy to play around with (lots more options!)...I think they're making everyone switch over anyway shortly. :)

Julie Carobini said...

Yeah, Virginia, I heard they were going to make us. I'm such a procrastinator...

Btw, info on your site was such a bummer! I guess I should read some reviews. Still glad that my cuz got some work out of it, though!

Have fun with your toy. I'll get to it. Eventually ;-)