Monday, July 21, 2014

Novel Awakening

Image c. Penguin Group
Once upon a time I read novels day and night. I read them on a hunch. I read them during lunch. I read them on my head, and I read them in my bed.

Poor Dr. Seuss ... !

But seriously, I rarely passed by the Eagle Rock Library on my walk home from elementary and middle school without stopping in. I was that kid. As I outgrew the kids' section, I moved into adult fiction and read everything the librarian would let me borrow--age appropriate or not (wink, wink). I was addicted, a two-pack a day reader with no time or inclination to quit anytime soon.

I did, eventually, see my addiction wane. Marriage, kids, and career all played parts in that--especially since my career has consisted of both writing and reading (i.e., editing). For awhile, the only attention my collection of must-reads received was the occasional (and I do mean occasional) dusting.

Then something happened a few months ago. I bought an ereader with birthday money from my parents (two people with reading addictions of their own ... apple didn't fall far!), and I've become re-obsessed (is that a word??) with reading all kinds of novels: YA, Women's, Inspirational ... I truly believe that if I won the Lotto tomorrow, a large hunk of my winnings would go to buy more books. Truly.

Here are a few of the stories I've recently read and enjoyed:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
While We Were Watching Downton Abbey by Wendy Wax
The Color of Memory by Julianne Maclean (Actually, I've read three in this series so far)
Ciao, Bella by Ryan Phillips

Addicted to fiction, too? Then send me some recs, will you? :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been hooked on Steven James' series "The Bowers Files" this summer. Loved every minute of them and I'm dying right now because I have the next one and I don't have the time to start it.