Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hand me a towel already

One of my future heroines will be a klutz. I say this because I am fully qualified to write such a character. Not long ago I wrote about making a real life appearance in a Hitchcock-style scene. And, yes, the Advil and ice did the trick. Thanks for asking.

The other day, my friend Angela and I kayaked in tandem in a nearby harbor. Pretty uneventful, unless you're counting all the the times she pointed and laughed at my wet rear (seems I forgot to put a towel on my seat, but hey, what are friends for anyway.)

Anyhoo. We docked the kayak and Angela hopped out and tied up the front end of the boat. That's when it got dicey. See, I tried to tie up my end, but I couldn't reach the cleat-thingy. So I sort of lunged, (physics people, help me out here) which caused my end of the boat to push away from the dock, which in turn caused me to become momentarily suspended between the dock and my boat. I could see the shock on Angela's face--oh the horror--but at less than 5' tall, she's not exactly in the position to haul me out of my precarious position. (Although when she sees that I've just mentioned her height, she'll probably become infused with a sudden, raw strength and either kill me or hurt me real bad.)

And so my ever-shrinking ego and I hit the water kerplunk.

Let's be honest. Children diving into a blue lake are pretty. Toddlers splashing in a wading pool are pretty. But this! This.was.not.pretty. Not even a little. And if you think Angela was laughing before! Don't even get me started...

Anyway, I've lived to blog about it. And who knows? Maybe this little pride-buster will find its way into a future novel. Truth makes great fiction after all.

tags: ,

9 comments:

Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

You have quite the flare for humor, too, Julie. LOL. Sorry. I'm sure smacking the water didn't FEEL so funny. (Too bad someone didn't get it on video. Would have made a great AFV segment! LOL)

Becky

Julie Carobini said...

Yeah, sure Becky, a video would make me feel so much better. sheesh.

:-)

Damselfly said...

Great idea! You can write funny. I mean you can write humor. I mean, you know what I mean, right? ;)

Probably anyone who has kayaked has done the butt-flop. I know I did....

Camy Tang said...

Aaack! Glad you're okay, though. It could be worse, right? You could have torn a muscle or something in the process. Or an ACL.
Camy

Anonymous said...

Julie...I think you are not giving yourself enough credit. I have NEVER seen anyone eat it with such grace...such aplomb. My laughter was strickly an expression of my admiration and respect. PS When are we going out again?? :0)

Chaos-Jamie said...

Without these types of experiences, think how flat our writing would be!

I know. I fell in the frog pond fishing for tadpoles.

Julie Carobini said...

Hey Angela--Uh yeah, let's calendar that :-)

And Jamie, how slimy! Blech.

Vintage Wine said...

Don`t you just love these moments? They`re never fun when they`re happening (well, to everyone who is looking they are but not to you) but then they give you a good story to tell & lots of laughter ;-)

Trish Ryan said...

Here's to the klutzes! My husband now calls me "the spiller" because so many of my spectacular falls involve dropped liquid. I tell myself it keeps life from getting dull :)

You should definitely have your next heroine be one of us.