Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Works for Me Wednesday: Beachside Noshing
You know, I've never done a meme in my life. Haha--that sounded kind of funny. Anyway. I got this idea from Holymama! who got it from Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer. With summer oh-so-close, I thought I'd give it a go.
I'm a beach girl. Flip flops on the porch. Sunblock in every drawer. You get the picture. So here are some of my ideas for easy picnics by the sea:
1. As the name suggests, 'sand'wiches go crunch at the beach. Don't pack them.
2. Pack fruit, but not the kind you have to peel, slice, pit or otherwise mess with while there. Instead, bring cut up melon, strawberries, apple slices (with lemon juice on them to keep the brown away!) or grapes (cut in half if kiddos are small.) Carry them in a Rubbermaid-ish type container. Include some ice in a baggie to keep fruit cold.
3. Mini-burritos! Smear beans on a tortilla. Roll up, cut in half and wrap each mini-burrito in foil. Ole!
4. Other protein boosts: cheese chunks, peanut butter crackers, jerky.
5. Doritos. (I just like them).
6. Forget sugary drinks or dehydrating diet 'pop' (for my back East readers :-) There's nothin' like ice cold water on a hot beach (unless there's no bathroom nearby. Bummer).
7. Thinking of bringing a plastic grocery bag for your trash? Don't. When rustling in the wind, those bags sound like they're calling out, "Here birdy, birdy." Think: seagull infestation. Picnics and bird poop do not make for happy lunching...unless you're, uh, a bird.
After lunch, baste self with sunblock, and turn over every 1/2 hour or so. Can't ya just hear the waves?